Procrastination is not my friend. Although we use to hang out a lot. I have a habit of looking up frequently used words to see what they really mean. I also check to see if I am using them in the correct context. I looked up the word procrastination on dictionary.com and this is the definition that it gives: Putting off or delaying, especially something that requires immediate attention. Oh boy, that was my college years in a nut shell. Now I have gotten better with hanging around with procrastination, we might do coffee at times but no more being room mates. Here are some of the tips that I use to make sure that my unwanted guest stays it’s distance.
1. Create a to-do list. I create a weekly to-do list of about twenty task. Then I break down those task into daily task. I create my to-do list on Sundays. That is when I reflect on my previous week and prepare for the week to come. My mind and entire life functions with a list. If it is not written down somewhere it does not exist in my world.
2. Prioritize your task. Look at the tasks that you are wanting to complete. Then put the task in a category of must and wants. Your must category are the things that must get completed today. Like car pool or dinner. Your want to list may consist of cleaning out the closet or dusting.
3. Spread out task through out the week. Once you have completed your must and your want list. Then you will be able to know the things that you must do today and then plan for the rest of the week. Do not think that everything has to be completed today. That becomes very overwhelming and discouraging.
4. Create and keep a schedule. When things are scheduled out I tend to stick to them. They are on my calendar and I know that is what you should be doing. For example on Thursday nights you and your family know that the bathroom gets a thorough cleaning. It is on the cleaning schedule for Thursday’s. Which brings me to number 5.
5. Make some things habitual. Just like the Thursday night bathroom cleaning. Set somethings for certain times or days and just get in the habit of doing it. Before you know it your body will just start doing the task when it is scheduled to be completed.
6. Plan ahead for pre-scheduled events. We all know that the holidays come every year. Start planning early for them. I would even suggest to start planning for the next year right after this one has passed. For example on the day after Christmas start talking about where you will spend Christmas next year. Start budgeting for the ideas that you come up with. Or as soon as one person’s birthday has passed start planning for the up and coming birthday.
7. Cut out excessive idol time. I know that we all have our favorite tv shows and things that we really like to just chill out and do. However when we start to limit those things we can actually see that we have a little more time to complete other task that really need to get done. You become less stressed out and your 24 hours are really enough.
8. Do things as you go. There are some small task that you see that need your attention and it takes little to no time to complete them. Go ahead and do them in passing. If you see that there are only a few dishes in the sink go ahead, rinse them, and put them in the dish washer. It may take you only 10 minutes at a time to do that instead of waiting for a sink full of dishes to pile up before you do anything about it. Now that may take 30 minutes. You just saved 20 minutes.
9.The more you put in the later pile the bigger it gets. Just like the dishes. The more you say “oh I can do that later” and sit in front of the tv or your tablet the more gets piled up. Also what if something pops up that is unexpected that demands your attention at the time that you labeled as later. The mole hill becomes a mountain very fast.
10. Empower your team. You have a built in team that you can empower to help you with task. Delegate somethings on your to-do list that they can do. Give instructions and let them complete it. Do not micro manage or this will not work.
I hope that these help you the way they helped me over come procrastination. I really want to hear what you think. Come and share with me on Facebook and twitter. Come and hang out with me on Instagram.